Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 56: Leftovers for Lunch, Homemade Brownies, and Girls' Night In

For lunch after church today, we had leftover turkey pot pie with herb crust. I used the scraps of the crust from when I made it on Thursday to make "biscuits."  It was basically just extra crust for the pie crust lovers (like my husband).  I also made these Ina Garten homemade brownies:

Outrageous Brownies
1 lb unsalted butter
1 lb plus 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
6 eggs
3 TB instant coffee granules
2 TB vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 TB baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350*.  In a medium bowl over simmering water, melt the butter, 1 lb chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate.  When melted, allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, stir the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar together.  Add the chocolate to the egg/sugar mixture and stir.
Sift 1 cup of the flour, the baking powder, and salt together and add to the batter.  In a small bowl, combine the remaining chocolate chips, walnuts, and 1/4 cup of flour.  Stir them into the batter.  Pour into a greased 12x18x1 inch baking pan.
Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking pan against the oven racks to allow any air to escape.  Bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool, then refrigerate and cut into large squares.

Randy has a "guys' night" at his brother's tonight, so I am home with the kids!  BUT, all is not lost since I have a dear friend coming to visit and hang out with me!  In true "girls' night" fashion, I am wearing yoga pants, we're ordering Chinese, indulging in brownies, and probably making a drink or two.  I have all the fixings for my rum runners, classic margaritas, or something else we may want to try.  (Maybe a French martini--I believe I could whip that up!)  It could only be better if tomorrow morning wasn't Monday... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment