Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 48: Greek Orzo Salad

Confession: This was MEANT to be yesterday's (Saturday's - Day 48's) lunch, but I failed.  The day got away from me somehow and I ended up shoving down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.  For dinner, we had planned on going out, which we did.  We went to Red Robin (I told you we love burgers) and ended up seeing a few familiar faces (always fun) and a waitress who swore up and down I was familiar to her, but she didn't know from where.  Anyway... I did get some inspiration from Red Robin again.  I have always loved their "Burnin' Love" burger and that will probably be one of the next ones I create.  (Although we're having burgers next weekend when my mother-in-law is in town and I'm not sure she'll be up for such a spicy burger--I may have to plan a different style.)

So, I ended up making the Greek Orzo Salad this morning to have for lunch today.  But I'm still going to put the recipe under Day 48 since I have about 3 recipes for Day 49 (today) alone.

Ever since our honeymoon in Greece, I LOVE a good Greek salad, or any kind of Greek flavoring in a salad.  Feta cheese is sooo good and I love looking for ways to put it in a salad or pasta salad.  A friend of mine made an orzo salad one day and brought it over for our lunch get together.  I think this is similar to the way she made hers:

Greek Orzo Salad
The thing I love about pasta salads is that you really can adjust the ingredients to fit your taste.  Don't like feta cheese?  Go light on that and heavy on the tomatoes.  Dress it as you see fit.  This is definitely a summery pasta salad, but we just set the clocks ahead, so I think it's about time.  I'm just itching for summer so I can make all my favorite summertime recipes!
1 box orzo
3-4 mini cucumbers, thickly sliced and halved
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1-2 bulks of feta cheese (I get mine from the olive bar at the grocery store.  It sits in its brine and tastes fresh.  It's sold by the "bulk" so I try to fit as much in the little container as I can.  If you can't buy it this way, 8-10 oz should be good.)
salt, pepper
2-3 TB fresh chopped parsley
Greek salad dressing (A traditional Greek salad is served with extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.  You can easily dress your pasta salad this way.  However, if you're nervous about putting too much vinegar or oil in, Ken's Steakhouse makes a really good Greek dressing!)

Cook the orzo according to the package instructions.  Drain and combine with the vegetables, parsley, and cheese.  Season liberally with salt and pepper (while it's still hot!) and drizzle with Greek dressing to taste.  Refrigerate until cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment