Saturday, February 22, 2014

Day 34: Tequila Lime Chicken, Mango Salsa, Rice, Steamed Broccoli, & Classic Margaritas

This is definitely a summer meal.  It is easy to prepare and delicious!  The chicken recipe idea itself comes from Ina Garten (I am giving you my variation).  Tonight was my first time making it.  I served it with wild rice, steam broccoli, and a mango salsa I make frequently in the summer.  Paired with a classic margarita, it totally brought me to a warm, sunny, happy place!

Tequila Lime Chicken
2-4 chicken breasts, skin on
1/2 cup tequila
juice of 3-4 limes (*limes are probably the peskiest fruit to juice--I pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then use a fork to help juice them.  Using the fork creates a lot of pulp, so I am sure to strain the juice afterwards.)
juice of 1 orange
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 jalapeno, minced OR 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (my jalapeno withered before I was able to use it, so I substituted the flakes)
1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 TB fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine all of the ingredients except the cilantro and chicken in a medium bowl.  Add the chicken, and marinate overnight.  (I wasn't able to do it overnight, so the chicken soaked for about 6 hours during the day, and it was still flavorful!)  When ready, you can grill the chicken (skin side down, first) on the grill, or on a grill pan.  I like to do mine on a grill pan that is oven-safe so I can finish it off in the oven at about 400* until cooked through. 

Mango Salsa 
(I think I first got this recipe from Rachael Ray, but I've just made it on my own for so long that I can't remember if it's exactly like hers still.)
1 mango, diced (Tonight I used previously frozen (now thawed) mango chunks from the store.  The rest of the chunks I saved for Noah.)
2 plum tomatoes, diced
quarter of 1 red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
juice and zest of 1 lime
drizzle of hot sauce (depending on how hot you like your salsa)
salt, pepper (to taste)

Combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Taste for seasonings such as salt, pepper, and hot sauce.




Classic Margarita--Easy as 1, 2, 3!!!
(makes 1--doubled, it's as easy as 2, 4, 6!)

1 oz Triple Sec
2 oz lime juice
3 oz tequila
ice
salt

Run a lime wedge around a glass rim and coat with kosher salt.  Fill the glass with ice.  Shake the Triple Sec, lime juice, and tequila together and pour over ice.





No comments:

Post a Comment