Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day 67: Chicken Taco Rice

I remember having this meal at a friend's house when Randy and I were engaged.  I knew I wanted the recipe right away!  I think I remember Andrea saying she got it from her mother-in-law.  Well, she gave me this recipe and one for whoopie pies and they have both been frequent "fliers" in our kitchen ever since!  This meal is super fast, super delicious, and super fun to eat!
Here are the original ingredients for the recipe as I received it.  I've included some variations mainly because whenever I think I want to serve it, I inevitably forget to pick up 1 or 2 ingredients--don't ask why.  So I've been forced to try new things with it, and hey, they've worked!

Chicken Taco Rice
1 lb chicken breast (cooked either by the stovetop or oven, then shredded)
13 oz chicken broth
8 oz tomato sauce
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can corn, drained
1 each of red, green, and yellow peppers, cut in strips
1 1/2 cups of rice, cooked
shredded cheese
tortilla chips

In a small pot, bring the broth, tomato sauce, and seasoning to a boil and add the cooked chicken, peppers, and corn.  Bring to a boil again to cook the peppers and corn.  Serve over the rice with cheese on top and tortilla chips for scooping/shoveling into your mouth! :)
Variations: 
*No taco seasoning?  No problem!  If you have Southwestern seasoning, that works just as well--use a couple tablespoons.  Or you can combine some paprika, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, salt, pepper and use that!  Put some seasoning on the chicken, too, before you cook it!!!
*No chicken broth?  Beef broth adds a nice extra boldness to the dish, and I've actually come to prefer it over the chicken broth.
*I only use a red and yellow pepper.  (Mainly because I forgot to get the green pepper once and never missed it!)
*I also use 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn instead of canned corn.  I always have frozen vegetables in my freezer!

1 comment:

  1. I make something similar after Thanksgiving. I fry up the left-over turkey with taco seasoning. It's great for a change instead of turkey every day until it's gone! :-)

    ReplyDelete