Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 51: Buttermilk Baked Chicken, Garlic-Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans

This meal is so satisfying!!!  The whole family devoured it.  I think Noah was the first one done and got seconds of green beans (go figure).  He'll have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :)  The chicken is super flavorful and juicy, which is key!  I load the mashed potatoes with almost everything in the fridge and they are amazing!  I long for the day I can buy fresh green beans again without questioning their freshness or paying an arm and a leg, but frozen green beans aren't so bad for now, as long as they're steamed slightly (not overcooked) and dabbed with butter, salt, and pepper.

Buttermilk Baked Chicken
chicken thighs and legs
1 qt buttermilk
3-4 TB hot sauce
10 thyme sprigs
1 onion, cut in chunks
salt, pepper
4-5 cups crushed cornflakes
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

The night before you make this meal, place the chicken in a large bowl and cover the pieces with buttermilk.  Add the hot sauce, thyme sprigs, onion chunks, salt, and pepper.

The night you are cooking, preheat the oven to 400*.  I never eat cornflakes for breakfast, so when I buy a box, I just crush all the flakes by putting them in the food processor cupfuls at a time.  Then I store the crumbs in a ziploc bag until I need them.  Place the cornflake crumbs in a shallow dish.  Add the parmesan cheese and season liberally with salt and pepper.  (*I add Tastefully Simple's seasoned salt, also.)  Mix together with your hand.  Place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.  Roll the soaked chicken in the crumb mixture then place on the cooling rack.

Before
Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the juices run clear.
After

For my garlic mashed potatoes, I boil about 6 large red-skinned potatoes, cut in chunks with the skin on.  When they are cooked, drained, and ready to mash, I add about 2/3 stick of butter, 1-2 minced garlic cloves, plus 1-2 TB garlic powder, a couple chopped chives, 2-3 TB sour cream, 2-3 TB milk, and salt and pepper.  Mash well with a hand masher, and serve with shredded cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment