Sunday, April 20, 2014

Days 88-90: Gearing up for Easter/Too Busy "Celebrating" to Commemorate?

So let me get the dinners out of the way first:
Day 88 (Thursday)--Maundy Thursday dinner at church.  Our task was to bring something to drink.  Pretty easy, we brought seltzer water.
Day 89 (Good Friday)--I had the day off today!  Brought the kids to Carter's in Millbury then met my parents (and the other daycare kids) at McDonald's for lunch.  My cousin babysat for the afternoon so I could get some fun errands done, then we met Jenna's friend and my aunt at Applebee's for dinner.  Noah pretty much ate half of my penne dish!  I love how he puts away food! :)
Day 90 (TODAY!)--My brother is home for Easter from Atlanta, GA!  After Abby had a "proper" birthday tea party to go to (SUPER cute, little girls dressed in tutus and straw hats!) we met up with my parents and brother (and Randy and Noah) and we went to Mezcal for supper.

It's been quite a busy few days!!!  So busy, Randy couldn't even remember at first why we were going to church on Thursday.  So busy, I cried over the fact that I didn't color eggs with Abby (yes, she's only 2 but she would still love it--she LOVES art!).  Then I reminded myself that she doesn't even know about coloring eggs, therefore isn't missing anything, and that's not the real meaning of Easter, anyway!  After that, I cried because I haven't talked with Abby about the true meaning of Easter.  I think I'm a bit emotional/hormonal or SOMEthing.  I've got a lot going on, and the weight of the stress of getting my kids and myself ready not only for Easter but for our trip coming up this week is bearing down on me.  I'm really excited, but also really scared.  I smile at the thought of BEING in California with Randy and able to sleep in and just be.  But I tear up at the thought of dropping the kids off and saying "good-bye."  So yeah, a lot going on!  But back to Easter...

"'Don't be alarmed,' he said. 'You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.'" Mark 16:6

Abby has been walking around the house singing her "Jesus is Alive" song she learned in Sunday School.  I'm sad that she won't be able to sing it in front of the church with her class since we'll be at my parents' church.  I'm also disappointed that I didn't spend more time talking with her about the song.  I should've bought a book about Resurrection or something.  :)  I was so concerned with getting a few things for her Easter basket and wondering how far I wanted to go this year and what that would mean for how far I go next year (as in, how high do I fill it and with what?).  I was trying to figure out the direction I wanted to take the "basket" tradition.  I'm fairly certain it's NOT in the direction of loading it to the brim with candy.  This year I bought her a sticker book, some chalk, a beanie baby, and I filled a few eggs with some M&Ms.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2a

Instead of worrying about her basket, I should've been more concerned with reading to her the Resurrection story, singing that song with her more, or how about the fact that Randy and I were both so busy that we didn't have time to reflect on Holy Week ourselves???  That's more concerning.  Usually at this time of year, I have a "quiet sadness" leading up to Good Friday.  My soul aches for the suffering I remember my Savior endured.  I didn't feel any of that this year.  Lent snuck up on me, and before I knew it, it was Good Friday and I was panicked about getting all the food prepared that I planned for Easter Sunday.  I need to learn how to be a "Mary in a Martha World."   Is it too late?

"She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's fee listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made." Luke 10:39-40a

The simple answer is "no."  But it's time to re-group.  Yes, we missed some of the opportunities of Holy Week this year--commercialized and spiritual ones.  But this doesn't mean my daughter won't know that Jesus is her Savior or that God made her.  Not only do I have to battle my own guilt and insecurity, but it doesn't help when I feel or wonder if others are judging me based on what Abby knows or doesn't know yet about God.  I have to remind myself that she is a young child, and she has lots of room to grow.  Praying for her, praying with her, and reading her Bible to her are wonderful things that we do.  We could do more, of course, and we will.  I'm not going to beat myself up over this year's Easter.  I would rather fall at the feet of my Savior, allow Him to pick me up and brush me off, and look forward to next year when Abby will sing with her class at Hope Chapel and will be able to declare that Jesus is Alive with just a little more confidence and a little more knowledge about her Creator.

"You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." Deuteronomy 6:7




No comments:

Post a Comment