Friday, April 4, 2014

Day 75: Outback Steakhouse & A New Experiment

Tonight's dinner cycled through a few plans before the plan that actually stuck.  The first plan was Hawaiian pizza.  But then the week flew by before I had a chance to make my pizza dough so that was a no-go.  It's on deck for tomorrow night, though!  The next plan was a chicken dish with a pasta salad, which was originally supposed to be Monday night's supper but Sunday night's supper got pushed to Monday and Monday's plan disappeared until tonight (sort of).  But when I got home with the kids, I was so tired, and then I got into my blog and new thumbtack website that it was 5:00 before I knew it and nothing had been done dinner-wise.  So my next plan was to have leftover lasagna from last night.  Leftovers are a huge money-saver and Randy always used to say, "You know, we can and SHOULD have leftovers more often.  I like leftovers!"  And I would always insist that he deserved a fresh-cooked meal every night. (If only!)  I've never been a huge fan of leftovers, but I understand their place.  Anyway, I was quite proud of myself as I phoned Randy and informed him that we would have leftovers tonight and I wasn't ashamed.  Until his response, "Umm, ok.  That's fine.  I'll probably have something else, though, since I had leftover lasagna for lunch today."  Drat.  The one time I'm proud to announce "leftovers" and he's leftovered-out.

OK, time to figure something out.  A-ha!  I have a couple giftcards to Outback Steakhouse.  Let's feed the kids the leftover lasagna (which they really loved last night) and we'll get Outback to-go!  Done!  That's what we did.  It was so good for our souls, too.  Usually, when my husband and I get take-out, we sit in front of the TV and catch up on our Netflix shows.  But tonight, we had a lot of talking to do.  It's been a crazy week and we haven't seen much of each other.  We ate our take-out in the dining room and talked about things that are on our hearts and minds.  Randy made killer margaritas, too!  The recipe will follow, and I apologize for there being no photograph.  I was a little too "in the moment" to remember to take a picture.  It was a fantastic dinner!

I wanted to share a new "experiment" that I'll be conducting food-related this month.  Randy and I are in the process of making some "future" decisions and changes.  Because of this, I've become a lot more budget-conscience and cringe at the amount of money we spend on food and drinks each month.  I've seen evidence of a whole Market Basket vs. OTHER grocery bill debate on facebook and elsewhere.  We live close to a Market Basket, and closer to a Hannaford.  The Hannaford is a more "comfortable" shopping experience for me and I've never been outraged at their prices.  I did shop at Market Basket for my last catering gig, but I don't really know if it saved me any money.  I remember noticing certain prices, and then recalling that they were no different from prices at Hannaford.  So, I sort of want to settle this on my own.  I've decided for the next month to shop exclusively at Market Basket and see if I really notice a difference in our end-of-the-month grocery total.  One week of experimentation just won't suffice since there can sometimes be a $20 difference in my weekly groceries at the same store depending on my menu.  I've decided that a whole month should give me a good idea of the price difference (if any).  And hopefully, this might settle some questions others have been debating about this and other stores, also.  I haven't quite decided exactly how much I'm willing to share detail-wise about the money I spend, but I hope to figure that out soon.  My first grocery shopping endeavor of April is tomorrow!  Market Basket, here I come! (I guess I should get started on my menu/grocery list!)

Tequila Canyon Margarita
1 1/2 oz tequila
1/4 oz triple sec
4 oz cranberry juice
1/2 oz orange juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
lime slice for garnish
ice

Pour tequila, liqueur, and cranberry juice into ice-filled glass.  Top with orange and pineapple juices.  Stir.  Garnish with lime and serve with a straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment