Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day 84: Cheddar-Dill Scones, Roast Chicken, Mustard-Roasted Potatoes


Everyone needs this recipe!  It's a fantastic scone and a great way to use up an ingredient you may buy for one thing and then typically throw out the rest: dill.  I buy dill for very rarely.  When I do buy it, it's for salmon burgers or something, and I never use the whole amount in the package.  Here's a great way to use the rest and have a terrific breakfast item all week.  The original recipe belongs to Ina Garten, but I use much less dill than she does.  Where she calls for 1 cup of chopped dill, I used about 1/4 of a cup.  The flavor is more subtle, but we like it!

Cheddar-Dill Scones

4 cups of flour (plus 1 TB)
2 TB baking powder
2 tsp salt
3/4 lb cold, unsalted butter, diced
4 eggs
1 cup cold heavy cream or milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
1 egg, beaten, with water for egg wash

Combine 4 cups of the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Carefully beat in the diced butter and mix until the butter is the size of peas.  Mix the eggs and milk together and add them to the flour and butter.  Mix the cheese, dill, and remaining 1 TB of flour.  Add this mixture to the dough and mix just until combined.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few minutes.  Roll it out to about 1 inch in thickness and cut triangles out.  Transfer triangles to a baking sheet and spread with egg wash.  Bake at 400* for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

For lunch we had another roasted chicken.  I will use the chicken stock to make homemade cous cous tomorrow night.  We also used the leftover chicken to make chicken salad for sandwiches this week.  I feel like I have posted my recipe for that before, but I couldn't find it.  So, I'll explain it easily here:

Chicken Salad
leftover white meat from the chicken (whatever's left)
a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise (to taste)
fresh chopped parsley
a few shakes of dried tarragon
salt, pepper

Most of the ingredients are to taste, everyone makes chicken salad differently.  These are just the ingredients I use.    


No comments:

Post a Comment