Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 87: Chicken Parmesan & Ceasar Salad

Well I'm in month 4 of this journey and I cannot believe I haven't made chicken parmesan yet!  I feel like I should be writing "I make this all the time!" because honestly, I do--or did.  I guess that just goes to show how my cooking really has branched out since starting this blog.  This meal has become second nature to me.  The most annoying thing about it, though, is the clean up.  Whenever I bread chicken, I hate having to wash the extra bowls, cutting board, and clean up any mess on the counter.  But it's worth it!  I think the most important thing to a really GOOD chicken parmesan is seasoning.  Season well with salt and pepper every step of the way, and use fresh herbs and fresh garlic.  You can't go wrong!  I read a quote one time (I can't remember where) that said, "If you salt as you cook, your food tastes well-seasoned.  If you salt after you're finished, your food tastes salty."  I think that's true and something I keep in mind while I cook.

Chicken Parmesan
2 chicken breasts (I'm using the measurements I used tonight for our small family, not a "normal" recipe quantity.)
1/2 cup flour
1 egg + a little water
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese + more for sprinkling
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
a few basil leaves, chopped
salt, pepper
1/2 lb pasta
spaghetti sauce
4-6 slices of mozzarella cheese

Get a pot of water heating on the stove for the pasta.  Warm the sauce in a pan on the stove.  Prepare the bowls to bread the chicken.  In 1 bowl: flour, 1 clove of minced garlic, a little salt and pepper.  2nd bowl: eggwash, salt, pepper. 3rd bowl: breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, remaining garlic, salt, pepper.
Pound out the chicken breasts so they are 1/2 inch thick.  Preheat the oven to 350* to finish cooking the chicken when needed.
Heat an oven-safe skillet on the stove with some olive oil.  When the water starts boiling, salt it liberally and add the pasta.  When the skillet is nice and hot, dredge the chicken in the flour, egg, breadcrumbs, and then place on the skillet.  Do so with the other chicken breast.  Let one side of the chicken turn brown/dark brown before flipping.  Flip the chicken when ready.  Cook about 1 minute on that side and then turn off the heat.  Ladle some sauce over the chicken and place the mozzarella slices on top.  Place the skillet in the oven to finish cooking the chicken and melt the cheese.  When the cheese is golden brown and bubbling, the chicken should also be done.
Serve the pasta with the chicken and cheese on top, and extra sauce if desired.  This goes great with ceasar salads with homemade dressing and bread.  (We skipped the bread tonight!)

No comments:

Post a Comment