Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day 27: Sausage/Pepperoni Pizza & Salad

Our homemade pizza may not be like whatever local place serves the best pie, but it's cheap, fun, and we like it!  Making pizza at home is fun with a child, too.  Abby enjoys sprinkling ingredients on top of a pizza and it's an easy job to let a little one do. :)

My recipe for pizza dough makes enough for 2 pizzas.  So today I simply pulled the other round of dough out of the freezer to start tonight's pizza.  The recipe for pizza dough can be found in Day 13.

Normally, I like to just use my spaghetti sauce for pizza sauce.  I try to keep a steady supply of just sauce (no meatballs) in the freezer.  But on occasion, I run out and want to make a pizza before I have a day to replenish the sauce.  Or, like today, I DO have sauce in the freezer, but forget and buy store brand pizza sauce anyway.  :/  Fail.  Oh well, when that happens, I add some dried oregano and basil to the sauce before using it on the pizza.

We have 3 stone pans: 2 large bar pans and 1 round pizza stone.  We flip back and forth between the rectangular and circular shaped pizzas.  Adding a little cornmeal to the ban before rolling the dough on top keeps it from sticking and makes it feel (just a little) like the pizzas from a pizzeria.

I use fresh mozzarella cheese.  It's stringy and gooey and you get that nice string of cheese when you take a bite.  Mm-mm good!  We're partial to meat toppings, so tonight we used pepperoni and crumbled breakfast sausage.  It was delicious.  I served a green salad to go along side. 

Everyone gather 'round the coffee table, it's pizza and a movie night!

No comments:

Post a Comment