Monday, February 10, 2014

Day 22: Meatloaf "Crater", Broccoli Au Gratin, Mustard-Roasted Potatoes


When I was young, I liked to cook meals for my family.  I had a Betty Crocker cookbook for kids and this idea for meatloaf was in it.  The idea is that it's fun for kids to make, but it really tastes great and enhances regular meatloaf, I think.

For the Meatloaf Crater, I use the same recipe I use for Italian meatballs, but I add some dried oregano as well.  I then shape the meat into a mound and make a "crater" in the center.  Whisk one egg and pour it into the crater.  Top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes.

Broccoli Au Gratin
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
2 TB butter
2 TB flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
French fried onions

In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour.  Cook 1 minute.  Add the milk and the broccoli and simmer until soft, about 8 minutes.  Add the shredded cheese.  Pour into a casserole dish and top with French fried onions.  Bake at 350* for about 10 minutes.

To find the recipe for Mustard Roasted Potatoes, see Day 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment