Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day 111: Chicken & Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo (Days 108-110 included)

I am still documenting our meals each day, but now that there are more "repeaters" and our evenings are getting busier  (my gym schedule, meetings, appointments, etc.) I've decided that I don't have to write a new post EVERYDAY.  So before I get to my recipe for chicken & broccoli fettuccine alfredo, here's a little catch-up:

Day 108 (Wednesday): My fantastic sister-in-law came for dinner and to watch the kids while I went to the gym.  I planned to have dinner on the table much earlier than I did, but I somehow managed to put down a few bites before running off to group ride.  I made parmesan-crusted chicken, mustard-roasted potatoes, and fresh green beans sauteed in butter with salt and pepper.

Day 109 (Thursday): I forgot to defrost the fish!!!  We were supposed to have tilapia for dinner, but now that will be saved for next week since I forgot to take it out of the freezer.  I ordered us a pizza (West Coast style) and it wasn't nearly as good as the one we had on the west coast.  I'll try re-creating that one next week!

Day 110 (Friday): Out with the parents!  What would we do without family?  Randy and I had an important appointment late Friday afternoon so my mother graciously agreed to keep the kids longer during the day on Friday and then we all went out to dinner together.  We went to Applebee's and it was a great time!

Day 111 (today!): Chicken & Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo
I have to say, this is Randy's signature dish.  He makes it well.  When we met, he probably would've said it was his all-time favorite meal.  Now, I'm not so sure.  We've had a lot of fantastic meals in our life together, he might say that this is an old-time favorite.  He made this dish for my grandparents, myself, and our friend, Anna, back when we first met and I was in college.  During my freshman year, I was living with my dad's parents in Gardner and Randy and I met at a Bible study.  The twin brothers who brought me to the Bible study were having a birthday and Randy had this great idea for a cake for them, so he and Anna came over to my grandparents and we made the cake.  Randy made dinner that night for all of us, and he made chicken and broccoli fettuccine alfredo.  I'd love to say that he made that dinner to impress me and my grandparents, but he doesn't even remember this day at all.  Has this ever happened to you, ladies?  Your man completely forgets a mutual "memory" that apparently was only significant to you? Oh well.  Anyway, the first time I made this dish for Randy, I was terrified!  (I wasn't as confident in the kitchen at the time.)  He made it so well I was sure I wouldn't be able to live up to his standards.  Now, I make it on a semi-regular basis and he almost never makes it!  It was one of the dishes I served at his 30th birthday party.  Randy was the referee for 3 soccer games today, so I knew he'd have an appetite when he got home, and this meal would do just the trick!  It's really not hard, so don't be afraid!

Chicken & Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo
This recipe serves about 3-4 people and uses only 1/2 lb of fettuccine.  I also use about 1/2 lb of chicken and cut it into chunks and marinate it Italian dressing beforehand; it adds a nice flavor to the chicken.  (This idea was Randy's!)

1/2 lb fettuccine
1/2 lb chicken, cut in chunks, marinated in Italian dressing
1 large head of broccoli (or 2 small), cut up
2 cups whole milk
2 TB butter
2 TB flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt, pepper
red pepper flakes
olive oil

Get a large pot of water and a sauce pan of water boiling on the stove.  While they come to a boil, heat a skillet with olive oil and cook the chicken all the way through.  Set the chicken aside.
Season both pots of water liberally with salt.  Add the fettuccine to the large pot and the broccoli to the saucepan to par-boil.  Once it has cooked about 2 minutes, transfer it to a bowl with ice water to immediately stop the cooking and retain the dark green color.  (This is called "blanching.")  Set the broccoli aside.
In the same skillet the chicken was cooked in, turn the burner to medium and melt the butter.  Add the garlic and a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes.  Cook 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.  Add the flour and cook another minute (to get cook out the starchy, flour taste).  Slowly add the milk and whisk continuously while you turn the heat to high.  Bring the sauce to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low and add the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
When the pasta is done cooking, add it to the sauce along with the chicken and broccoli.  (You may want to reserve some pasta water in case the cream sauce gets too thick.  Chicken stock or extra milk are also good thinners.)  Mix well and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment