Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 112: More Protein Shakes & Things I Learned from my Mom (Happy Mother's Day!)

Happy Mother's Day!!!
I thought it would be appropriate to post more smoothie recipes on Mother's Day since 1) I'm not cooking today and 2) it gives me a reason to talk about my mom.  Honestly, I didn't get a whole lot of culinary skills from my own mother (she would be the first to admit that!) so I don't have much of a platform in my other posts to talk about her.  I did learn A LOT of other stuff from her, which I will get into later.  I feel like I can relate the protein shakes back to her, though, because I'm pretty sure she has a smoothie every morning for breakfast.  I'm not positive what kind, but I think they're very healthy and very green.  (Not like the recipes I'm writing--I'm a little too scared to drink a dark green smoothie.)
My Wedding Day 6/26/10
 My mother is incredible.  And like all women, she's her own flavor of crazy.  I mean this in the best way possible.  To all women who need to see proof that total physical transformation is possible, look no further than my mother.  She is beautiful, and for lack of a better word... totally ripped.  Now, my mom was never ugly or obese; but like most women, she struggled with her weight off and on.  She had her "problem areas" and tried various diets.  I remember the Jane Fonda VHS tapes and the fitness benches.  We all know how most of that goes--up and down, emotional and physical roller coasters.
Diva Dash 2013
Living with epilepsy most of her life, my mother was always a fairly strong woman.  But it wasn't until she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000 that real transformation took place.  She changed her eating habits and joined the gym--and attended on a regular basis.  She started going to group fitness classes and got a personal trainer.  I always thought of my mom as more of an introvert than extravert so it completely amazed me that she would just go to a fitness class with no one she knew and not really knowing what to expect.  To me, the risk of embarrassment would have been too great to try!  14 years later (13 years cancer-free) and I have heard rumors that people refer to her as "psycho lady" at the gym because her fitness routine is so intense.  (That's why I say she's her own style of crazy.)  I don't know where she got her motivation or drive to stick with it but she did and her body shows it.  Now, in all fairness, her kids were in middle school and high school when this intense routine began, which is a little different than having a 2 and 1 year old at home, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself yet.
Recently, not only have I seen her physical appearance change, but her spiritual walk with the Lord has grown closer and it shows in her actions, demeanor, and overall confidence and outward kindness.  Not only does this make her an amazing role model for me and my kids, but I'm so thankful for the longevity she has most likely added to her life and amount of energy she has and will have for a long time to play with my kids.  No one would believe that she has 2 grandchildren if they met her on the street.  My children will have years of great memories with her and my father because of her current lifestyle!  I've learned a lot from my mother, including the fact that you're never too "old" to change your life in a dramatic way!
Things I've learned from Mom:
1) How to Sew (My mom is a quilter and is very talented in sewing, knitting, painting, cross-stitch--all things crafty, basically!)
2) How to Apologize (Even at a young age, whenever my mom and I had an argument, she would come into my bedroom and apologize and want to make sure we both went to sleep OK.  I make sure I always apologize to my own children when I know I'm in the wrong.)
3) Stories from the Bible and the importance of a relationship with Jesus
4) How to Organize
5) How to Serve (in the church and elsewhere)
6) How to read & write, cut & paste (We did preschool at home and she is also teaching my Abigail while they are together for daycare during the day.  Abby knows her letters and numbers, how to spell her name and color inside the lines thanks to my mom.)
7) of course... How to Exercise and attend Group Fitness Classes!  (I went with my mother on a regular basis to the gym first thing in the morning during my engagement.  My wedding day was probably the skinniest I have ever been and ever will be!)
Easter 2014
Here are a few more smoothie recipes.  This time around I used non-fat yogurt rather than low-fat.  It's a bit more expensive but there is a huge difference in calories.  Also, Silk recently came out with almondmilk plus protein and fiber, so I've used that milk in place of the almond/coconut milk I used in the other recipes.  I also used almond butter a few times.  It has a slightly lower caloric count than peanut butter, and it also has less sugar and more fiber.  We found it really gave the smoothies a sweet, breakfast-cereal-type taste.  The choices are yours--there are endless possibilities!  (I still have some more ideas in my head, but they will probably have to wait longer before they are tested and put into print.) :)

Raspberry-Mocha Smoothie (serves 1) Perfect if you need that extra boost of caffeine in the morning!
2/3 cup raspberries (frozen or not)
2/3 cup non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
2 TB wheat germ
1/2 cup Silk dark chocolate almond milk
1/2 cup cold coffee

Calories: 286, Fat: 3g, Protein: 18.5g, Fiber: 13g, Added Sugar: 16g, Vitamin C: 55%, Vitamin A: 6%, Vitamin E: 45%, Vitamin D: 13%, Iron: 17%, Calcium: 68%, Folic Acid: 20%

Version of a similar smoothie that serves 2:
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1 cup cold coffee
1 cup Silk dark chocolate almond milk
3 TB wheat germ
1 TB almond butter

Calories: 843, Fat: 13g, Protein: 30g, Fiber: 21g, Added Sugar: 29g, Vitamin C: 93%, Vitamin A: 11%, Vitamin E: 75%, Vitamin D: 45%, Iron: 28%, Calcium: 101%, Folic Acid: 30%

Triple Berry Almond Smoothie (serves 2) PROTEIN + FIBER packed w/ a boost of VITAMIN C
1 1/2 cups strawberry halves
1/2 cup blueberries (frozen)
1/2 cup raspberries (frozen)
2 TB almond butter
2 TB wheat germ
1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1 cup Silk almondmilk + protein + fiber

Calories: 617, Fat: 20g, Protein: 37.5g, Fiber: 28.5g, Added Sugar: 21g, Vitamin C: 266.5%, Vitamin A: 11.5%, Vitamin E: 20%, Vitamin B12: 50%, Iron: 26%, Calcium: 58%, Folic Acid: 20% 

Blueberry-Peach Smoothie (serves 2) PROTEIN + FIBER packed
1 cup frozen peach halves
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
2 TB wheat germ
2 TB almond butter
1 cup spinach
1 cup Silk almondmilk + protein + fiber

 Calories: 582, Fat: 20g, Protein: 39.5g, Fiber: 23g, Added Sugar: 21g, Vitamin C: 53%, Vitamin A: 101%, Vitamin E: 20%, Vitamin B12: 50%, Iron: 28.5%, Calcium: 68.5%, Folic Acid: 20% 

For more protein shake recipes by me, visit:  http://bethanysmeals365.blogspot.com/2014/05/day-103-protein-shakessmoothies-part-1.html

For more information about the nutritional value of fruit: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1990/2

No comments:

Post a Comment