Monday, January 5, 2015

Gingerbread Doughnuts and Other Christmas Treats (Days 335-343)

Christmas week flew by and was filled with yummy treats in this house!  We had people over here and we gathered with family elsewhere.  I made dinners, desserts, appetizers, and breakfasts--basically, we feasted (and continue to do so)!  Here's a recap of some of our holiday feasts:

Day 335 (Saturday): We had my dad's concert tonight so we quickly ate some leftover pizza from the night before and then had my parents over for coffee and cookies and fudge.  For Christmas cookies, we had spritz (a Swedish cookie), gingerbread cookies, and chocolate fudge.  I just follow the fudge recipe that's on the Fluff container--it's name is accurate "Never Fail Fudge."  At least that's how it's always been for me!

Spritz
I triple the recipe, but then use 1 cup less of flour so the dough is easier to handle and press.

1 cup soft butter
2/3 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.  Squeeze dough into a cookie press (I use Pampered Chef) and press out onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Sprinkle with colored sprinkles and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Day 336 (Sunday): Today I made my roasted whole chicken for Sunday dinner and my sister-in-law was able to join us after watching Abby sing her Christmas song at church.  I love making big dinners--especially around the holidays.
Abby singing and waving at church.

Day 337 (Monday): Vegetarian Enchiladas
So, a while ago I started making vegetable tostadas which you can do grilled or roasted and use pretty much any variety of vegetables you like.  I started dinner tonight with that recipe in mind, but it ended up turning into vegetarian enchiladas.  First off, my tortillas were a little too big for the "tostada" idea, so they were better treated as a wrap.  Second, I had some avocadoes that were about to become overripe, so I decided to make an avocado-ranch sauce.  So when everything was said and done, I had some roasted eggplant, squash, and peppers.  I mashed up the avocadoes and mixed in a little ranch dressing and spread that on my tortillas, then topped it with the roasted vegetables.  I sprinkled in a little cheese, rolled the tortillas, and sprinkled more cheese on top.  Then they went back in the oven (400*) for a few minutes until the cheese was melted.  I served it with sour cream and my homemade salsa.

Day 338 (Tuesday): My parents and brother came over for dinner tonight and I remade my entire Olive Garden dinner experience consisting of Zuppa Toscana soup, salad, and homemade breadsticks.  It was delish!

Day 339 (Christmas Eve):
We went to my aunt and uncle's house for Christmas Eve dinner.  I come from a Swedish family, so Christmas Eve is a huge deal--we have a smorgasbord of food!  I brought desserts including a bourbon spice cake, cherry cordial trifle, and a mint chocolate ice cream cake.  Christmas Eve morning I also made my homemade cinnamon buns for my family.  I didn't get any pictures of the desserts, but they are all Pampered Chef recipes and you can look them up here.

Day 340 (Christmas Day): After presents were opened, coffee was had by adults and Santa's leftover cookies were eaten by the children, we had a nice, big breakfast!  I made a kale and sausage strata and gingerbread doughnuts.  We went to my parents' house for Christmas dinner and I brought homemade jalapeno poppers for an appetizer.

Gingerbread Doughnuts
I follow a few blogs of my own, in order to stay "in the loop" with different cooking techniques, writing styles, and blogging trends.  I don't always get to read every post that comes my way due to lack of time. ("No, really?"  You might be thinking.)  But I had to read this recipe that came to me from The Texan New Yorker.  These doughnuts are absolutely divine and will now become a staple among our breakfast items!  This recipe makes 6 doughnuts and uses a doughnut pan which you can buy at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar (she called for dark, but I used light)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 sour cream
1 TB honey
1 TB molasses
2 TB vegetable oil
2 TB whole milk

GLAZE
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
2-3 TB whole milk

Preheat the oven to 350*. Grease a 6-count doughnut pan.  In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.  In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, honey, molasses, vegetable oil, and milk.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined.  (Don't overmix or you will get a heavier doughnut.)
Spoon the batter into a pastry bag or a ziploc bag and cut one corner off.  Pipe the batter into the doughnut pan, being careful not to overfill the doughnut rounds.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Allow to cool slightly.  Whisk together the glaze ingredients, adding more milk for a thinner glaze if desired.  Pour over the doughnuts.

Day 341 (Friday): Tonight we went to Via Italian Table to celebrate my parents' 30th anniversary.  It was a great time with great food!  And if I can take a minute to share a "proud mom moment"--a couple who sat near us came over to me when they left to tell me that my kids were very well-behaved and that I should be proud.  I was! :)

Day 342 (Saturday):
Smoked Gouda Burgers for family movie night!  I bought a variety of cheeses for a cheese and cracker appetizer Christmas day.  I used the leftover smoked gouda as inspiration for these burgers.  I cooked up some bacon and crumbled it and put it in the actual burger meat with a dash of hot sauce, some Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, a bit of mayo and a tad of stone-ground mustard.  I caramelized some onions to top the burgers with and melted the smoked gouda on top.  Those burgers were delicious!



Day 343 (Sunday): We had our 3rd floor tenants over for Sunday dinner today.  I made a rosemary-salt crusted rib roast, mashed potatoes, and broccoli au gratin.  One thing I love about hosting dinners around the holidays is that I seldom have to worry about dessert.  We just passed around cookies and more fudge and that definitely satisfies everyone's sweet tooth!

2 comments: