Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 352: Pecorino Cracker Appetizer, Salad, and Leftover Calzones

Exactly one week from today (Tuesday) is Randy's birthday.  That means this is the start of his birthday week.  I have to call it that because as his birthday approaches and I start pouring through my recipe books trying to decide what to make him for his birthday dinner, I always decide on too many things--so I have to spread it all out over the course of a week or so, culminating in the best of the best for his actual birthday dinner.  I'm pretty sure it's clear by now (so close to the end of my year-long blog journey) that a major way I show my husband love is by cooking for him!
So although tonight we had leftover calzones, which isn't necessarily anything special in this house, I made a new appetizer for us. 
salad and calzone dinner
When Randy comes home from work, we like to try to have what we call "grown-up time."  While I'm cooking dinner, I usually have a little bit of "down time" when something is baking or simmering on the stove.  During this time, Randy and I like to sit down together and have a little dinner appetizer and maybe a drink.  We catch up about our days and reconnect.  This time is so important and precious to us because four nights a week he's rushing off to his second job right after dinner, so we normally don't get any alone time after the kids go to bed.  We also like the fact that our "grown-up time" is generally first in our evening (unless I'm running behind in the dinner-making process).  It's a good reminder to us to keep our relationship with each other a major priority in our lives.  Then if I have to finish preparing dinner, he goes and plays with the kids (usually "couch monster").  That's always a precious thing for me to watch!

Tonight's appetizer was pecorino crackers, a recipe from Giada De Laurentis.  I put out some raspberry jalapeno jam to go with them and I made rum daiquiris.  It was a fantastic "grown-up time!"  Here are the recipes:

Pecorino Crackers
1 1/4 cups freshly grated pecorino cheese
1 stick of butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup flour

Start by "creaming" together the butter and cheese in a bowl with a hand mixer.  Add the salt, pepper, and cayenne and mix.  Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough comes together.  Pull apart the dough in teaspoon-size sections and place on an ungreased baking sheet (or one lined with parchment paper) and press down gently.  You should get 20-24 crackers from the dough.  Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, or until the edges start to brown.  Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to cool rack or plate.  Serve with savory jam or crumble over soup or salad. 

Rum Daiquiris (Recipe by John Cusimano, who uses dark rum, but I didn't.)
3 oz spiced rum
1 oz simple syrup
juice of 1 lime
lime slice for a garnish

(To make a simple syrup, simply boil equal parts water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.)  In an ice-filled shaker, shake together the rum, syrup, and lime juice.  Pour over ice in small glasses.  Garnish with a lime slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment