Monday, July 28, 2014

Day 190: Crockpot Chicken Tortellini

Day 2 of Crockpot meals wasn't a total failure, but it also wasn't a huge success.  I did 2 things wrong tonight:
We have a fun dinner table!
1. I made the dish too spicy.  The idea behind this meal is a good one and I will definitely try it again, but I will have to dial back the spice.
2. I didn't start it early enough in the Crockpot and it wasn't done on time.  It's true that not EVERY meal in the slow-cooker takes all day to cook, but time got away from me this afternoon and what needed about 3 hours in the Crockpot only got 1 1/2. :(

I'm still going to share this "recipe" with you, though, because I'm a believer in keeping this blog real and what happened tonight was real life.  Also, the flavors and the idea for this meal is a good one and I hope you try it out on your own and just give yourself enough time and gauge your spices wisely. :)

Crockpot Chicken Tortellini
1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast (cubed)
1 zucchini, cut in chunks
1 summer squash, cut in chunks
1 bag frozen tortellini
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 - 1 cup beer (I used a whole bottle and wished I hadn't.  I would use less next time, like a 1/2 cup or so.  This is to flavor and marinate the chicken.  The stock is to help cook the tortellini.)
1 tsp salt*
1 tsp pepper*
1 tsp paprika*
1/2 - 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (your taste)*
1/2 tsp garlic powder*
dash of cayenne powder*
Yay, chocolate!!!
*These seasoning measurements reflect what I SHOULD have measured.

Here's the best part of this dish, the EASY instructions!!!  Throw everything in the slow-cooker and cook on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. 

On a separate note, today is National Milk Chocolate Day.  Uh, yum!  We don't have a grill, but I made s'mores in the microwave.  Place the graham, chocolate, and marshmallow in the microwave for a few seconds (12 in our very mild microwave) and then place the other graham on top.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment