Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 163: Burgers, Corn on the Cob, Chocolate Frappes

Today was a beach day for the kids and I.  I was hoping to have the burger meat mixed up and ready to go this morning so I wouldn't have to worry about it when I got home all sweaty, sandy, and tired from the beach.  No such luck.  You know how things (like getting ready to go to the beach) take 5x longer when you have little kids?  Even when you think you planned well the night before?  Anyway...

For dinner tonight we had my classic burger recipe with bacon, cheese, and barbeque sauce.  Just click the link for burgers on my recipe finder on the side of the homepage and it should give you a few ideas for your next burger cookout.  We also had corn on the cob, like last night.  It's pretty good, even though we're still early in the season.  Here's a fun twist for the next time you have corn on the cob... add cayenne pepper, paprika, or chipotle chili powder to your butter and spread it on the corn instead of plain butter.  Delish!  
For dessert I made chocolate frappes.  I could say I got this idea from when I worked at an ice cream parlor through high school and college, but that would be a lie.  I did learn a lot of great recipes there, but this idea came straight from my childhood.  My father would occasionally make chocolate frappes for us after dinner and I remember those nights as some of the best!  Start with vanilla ice cream in the blender.  If you want good size frappes, use the whole half gallon for a family of four.  Then drizzle in chocolate syrup, to taste.  (Of course, if you want a real chocolatey frappe, you can use chocolate ice cream.  But I think the balance of vanilla/chocolate in this recipe is perfect!)  Next, pour in a good amount of milk, depending on how good your blender is and how thick or thin you want your frappe.  Blend until smooth.  Voila!  A fun dessert for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment