Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 189: Crockpot Pork Ribs, Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob

After the kids go to bed tonight, I will be planning my next week of recipes and my goal is have them all be prepared in the Crockpot.  Fingers crossed that we are moving this week, which means the kitchen needs to be all packed up as well.  I've finally come to the point where pretty much all of the non-essentials are packed.  It's now time to start packing things we use on a regular basis.  So tonight will start my week of Crockpot meals--"one-pot-wonders", if you will. :) Although the side dishes of this meal are prepared on the stove, I'm hoping that won't be the case for the rest of the week.

We all like to think of the Crockpot as perfect for winter meals--pot roasts, hearty soups and stews; and also perfect for working days when we don't have time to be in the kitchen preparing supper.  But they are also great in the summer when you don't WANT to be in the kitchen preparing supper.  If you get the flavors right, the Crockpot can be the perfect place to prepare a summer meal!

Crockpot Pork Ribs
I used Tastefully Simple's BBQ rub for these ribs, but I've made my own rub several times.  I just combine equal parts of salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Then I add 2-3x the amount of dark brown sugar.  (If I used 1 TB of everything else, then 2-3 TB of sugar.)

family pack of pork ribs
BBQ rub (Tastefully Simple or make your own--you'll need about 1/3 cup worth, give or take)
BBQ sauce
1/2 bottle of dark beer

Rub the seasoning into both sides of the ribs and place in the Crockpot.  Drizzle with BBQ sauce on all sides.  Pour in the beer and turn the Crockpot to "low" and cook for about 6 hours.  Really, that's it.  The meat should be falling off the bone when done!  Serve with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

***Day 188 (yesterday) we went out for dinner with my folks to Five Guys Burgers & Fries and then for frozen yogurt at Orange Leaf.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment