Sunday, January 19, 2014

Introduction: Why I'm Here

I'm finally setting up a blog!  Nothing fancy, this is primarily experimental.  Like a lot of things I do in life, I wanted a clear focus if I was ever going to be a blogger.  So I recently had the idea to document all the dinners I make for my family for a year.  I may include some breakfast, lunch, and snack items along the way.  I've always liked this idea, but was too insecure to do it.  Many people (who are better cooks than I) have done this or something like it and I always thought if I were to blog or write something about what I make, it had to be ORIGINAL.  However, as I've accumulated recipe book after recipe book over the years, I discovered that the notion of originality is ridiculous.  I'm saddened to say that I'm no longer as excited by a new recipe book--I'm too often disappointed when I peruse the table of contents to find, "Hey, I already make all this stuff!" (Then lament over the "wasted" $25-$35.)  My point is, there aren't too many original recipes out there anymore; just other people's version of the same thing.  And those people are published, with their own TV shows!  So, this is my version of the same idea countless others have done: documenting what I cook and hoping to learn from it. 

I'm a planner and always have been.  I plan a menu out for the week (or 2) which includes lunch and dinner.  Despite my high interest and growing knowledge of the culinary arts and the wide variety of recipes I know and have prepared, I still sit and wonder what to make quite often.  I'm actually amazed at how often my mind draws a blank in this area.  It's only much later that I remember that delicious meal I made 6 months ago that I forgot about and haven't made since.  When you're running around with 2 kids, a full-time job, church, and a thriving social life, things tend to slip your mind.

My hope with this blog is to remind me of what I've made and would like to make again, challenge myself to try a recipe in a different way, push my creativity (and expand my palette) in the kitchen, and inspire others to try a new recipe or have fun in the kitchen.  If only one of these things is accomplished at the end of 365 days, I will have succeeded!  I'm unsure if I will always post a COMPLETE recipe or not--some days are busier than others and may only include the title and/or picture of what I've made.  I hope to get all the recipes posted at some point during the year, though.

Please check out my complete profile and the photos I've posted (and hope to post) of food I've tasted or created, and places I've been around the world.  Also feel free to share any recipes or posts you like and want to keep.  If you try a recipe that's inspired by my blog, PLEASE TELL ME!  I'd love to hear about others' successes in the kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that your blog looks fantastic! I can't believe how professional, fresh and clean you have made this blog on your first attempt. I'm thrilled that you are having so much fun with this! Well done my dear!!

    ReplyDelete