Thursday, December 18, 2014

Day 333: Deep-Fried Brusselsprouts with Capers & Walnuts, Goat Cheese & Basil Chicken, Mashed Potatoes

I often make spinach & goat cheese stuffed chicken and I've been using garlic and herb goat cheese with it.  But all I had in my refrigerator today was plain goat cheese, so I searched for a way to make the dish more flavorful.  I minced 2 cloves of garlic and mixed them in with the goat cheese, and then instead of using spinach, I cut up some basil (julienne style) and added that to garlic and cheese mixture.  I stuffed this under the skin of the chicken breasts and baked them in the oven at 400* for about 35 minutes, or until cooked through with crispy skin.
But onto the star of this post, the brussel sprouts.  Randy loves brussel sprouts.  I don't understand it.  I'm not a huge fan.  But being the darling, loving wife that I am, I try to still cook things that he likes once and a while even if I don't.  ;)  So, if I was going to make brussel sprouts, they were going to be flavorful and yes, deep-fried.  Does anything NOT taste better deep-fried???  Begin by making the dressing...
Deep-Fried Brussel Sprouts with Capers & Walnuts
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 TB capers, rinsed
2 scallions, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TB honey
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb brussel sprouts
oil for frying
1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped

Heat the oil on the stove until it reaches about 350*.  While it's heating, prepare the dressing.  In the bowl that you plan to serve the brussel sprouts in, combine the walnuts, capers, scallion, garlic, honey, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.  Mix well.  Place the bowl near the hot oil.  In batches, fry the brussel sprout until they deepen in color and just begin to flake a bit, about 3 minutes.  Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and transfer them right into the dressing.  Toss with the dressing.  When all of the brussel sprouts are finished, add the parsley to the bowl and toss everything together.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment