Monday, September 22, 2014

So-long Summer: Day 246

Yes, I still have the weekend to recap, but that will be for another post.  I have don't have a lot of time to write tonight, but I wanted to share the quick dinner I whipped up as a tribute to the end of summer.  Autumn is my favorite season, but I still get a little sad to see summer go.  This summer felt like it went by much too quickly since we spent half of it moving and working on our new house.  I already can't wait for next summer so we can spend more time relaxing at the beach! 
I brought the kids to the park this morning and met 3 other friends and their kids--we had a great time.  When Randy came home, we took the kids to a local park.  I haven't done the grocery shopping for the week yet so we had to run to Hannaford so I could pick up a few items for dinner.  For "Meatless Monday" I made a summer vegetable pasta with bruschetta

Summer Vegetable Pasta
1 zucchini, cubed
1 summer squash, cubed
1 pint grape tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb pasta of your choosing
4 TB butter
2 TB olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup white wine
few basil leaves, roughly chopped
salt, pepper

Start boiling the pasta water in a large stock pot.  When it comes to a boil, season it with salt and drop the pasta.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, drizzle the olive oil and add 2 TB of butter over medium-high heat.  When the butter melts, add the zucchini and squash.  Let cook for a few minutes until just tender.  Add the tomatoes and the garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cook 1-2 more minutes.  Pour in the white wine and the lemon juice and bring to a bubble.  Reduce heat to low.  When the pasta is done cooking, add it to the skillet and add the remaining 2 TB of butter.  Toss and garnish with the chopped basil.  Add more salt and pepper if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment