Monday, September 29, 2014

A Day (250) in the Life of... (Captured by Food) Plus Preschool-at-Home Resources

Friday was a whirlwind of a day!  I only had about 4 hours of sleep the night before, but I didn't yawn once that day--I stayed so stimulated by my surroundings (and my 2 large vats of coffee that morning) which really helped me to not feel tired.  For something new and different, I thought I'd capture some of a semi-typical day here at the Dattolos--through food.
5:15 AM--Momma's heading out the door for Group Ride at the gym, but not before eating a banana and grabbing my water and towel. :)
6:40 AM--Back home, the house is quiet.  Time to make breakfast.  It's important to me to be the first one up in the house so I can have some quiet time and get the day started right with a good breakfast and...
...COFFEE!!!
Potatoes in the pan, I am making a potato, bacon, and egg "hash."  The recipe is at the end of this post.
7:30/8:00ish--family's up and it's time for us to eat!  Starting the day off right!
9:00--A friend of mine dropped off her son for me to watch for a little while.  (Though this doesn't happen everyday, we do get together with our kids once or twice a week--literally, and like to "swap" kids occasionally to give each other a mommy-breather.)  I decided to let the kids make their own batch of apple oatmeal cookies--not sure if that qualifies me as crazy or cool... ha!
Noah with a mouthful of flour--nope, that's not sugar, bud!
Tasting their work--the approval of silence is oh, so strong!  And for the record, we did have an actual lunch after this of hot dogs, veggies, and chips--the pictures just weren't as cute as this! (The recipe for the cookies will also be at the end of this post.)
12:30--Craft project after lunch!!  The only way I could get them to not block their faces with the trees was to wave at the camera... didn't think that one all the way through, I guess!
4:30--I put together a barbeque chicken pizza for Randy and the kids' dinner.  Meanwhile, I headed to Lowell for a fab night out with my UMass sophomore cousin!
Mmm... grilled pizza!

And that would be a typical day at the Dattolo house.  Though I don't get up at 5:00 EVERYday (I have a certain schedule I try to stick to), I still like to be the first one up and I try to prepare a decent breakfast most days.  I like to keep baked goods in the house on a regular basis so we bake often.  And most of you already know about my dinners if you read this blog regularly. ;)  We spend a lot of time in the kitchen around here, and we love it!

Recap of our Week of Pre-School
Abby and I started our "apple" unit this week!  "A" is for apple, of course.  Here are some of the projects we did...
Before we started apples, we finished up reviewing our numbers 1-10.  This culminated in reading the book "Big Fat Hen" and practicing the rhyme she's known since she was 1 and a half--you know, "1, 2, buckle my shoe..."  She is tracing the numbers 1-10 here and then will glue feathers on the paper to represent the big, fat hen!
TA-DA!!!
We practice our cutting, too.  Teaching these skills is requiring a lot of patience on my part.  We pray together each day before starting school--mostly for Mommy's patience! :)  She does a good job, though!
Finally--"A" is for "Apple"!  :)  I've been waiting to start this unit!!!  Good job tracing, Abby!




We made a bright, red apple with red pieces of construction paper--much more fun than simply coloring an apple with crayon!  While we worked we sang our new song "Shiny, shiny, apple red"  (to the tune of "Twinkle, twinkle, little star").  So cute!!!
Trying to be ultra-organized for this preschool stuff!  Abby and I BOTH love my construction paper organizer--Abby loves picking any color she wants from the beautiful array and I love how organized and tidy it makes me feel. :)
And don't forget about those fun apple trees we made on Friday!!!  I try to incorporate baking and cooking into our day because that's instruction for her, too.  I love that I get to teach and be Mommy all in one!

Apple Oatmeal Cookies
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsps cinnamon
1 cup oats
1 cup chopped apples

Cream together the sugars and butter.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.  Pour in the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda and stir all ingredients together well.  Fold in the apples and and oats.  Bake at 350* for about 10 minutes.

This upcoming week, Abby and I will finish our unit on apples and transition into "A" is for "animals."  We have another apple pie project to do and I will try to include some downloads of awesome apple worksheets for preschool that we've been doing, also!  Stay tuned!

Recipes from Above:

Potato, Bacon, Egg Hash
4-5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
5-6 slices of bacon, chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped
1 tsp steak seasoning
6-7 eggs, whisked together
1 cup cheddar jack cheese
salt, pepper
vegetable oil

In a large, cast iron skillet, drizzle some vegetable oil and add the chopped potatoes to cook over medium heat.  Preheat the oven to 350*.  Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, and steak seasoning.  When the potatoes have been sizzling for about 7 minutes and the oven is to temperature, put the skillet in the oven and let the potatoes bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until slightly tender. 
Once the potatoes are out of the oven, return them to medium-high stove heat to crisp up the outside of the chunks. Add the bacon to the skillet and let the bacon and potatoes crisp up simultaneously.  Once the bacon is crisp, add the eggs and re-season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add the scallions and half of the cheese and move the eggs around to scramble them.  Once the eggs are cooked, pour the rest of the cheese over the top of the skillet and return it to the oven to melt the cheese on top.  Serve hot.

Barbeque Chicken Pizza
I used my recipe for pizza dough for this pizza.  That recipe makes 2 pizzas worth of dough and I had 1 round left in the freezer so it thawed all day.  I also had leftover barbequed chicken breasts in the fridge so of course I was making barbeque chicken pizza.  I ended up buying the pizza sauce since I haven't had time to make my own sauce since the move.  These ingredients combined with fresh mozzarella cheese made for a great pizza!













No comments:

Post a Comment