Thursday, August 14, 2014

Ladies' Dinner & A Look Back on College (Days 203, 204, 205)

What have you been doing the past few nights at 11:00?  Sleeping?  Reading?  Watching TV?  Baking a cake?  Making calzones?  Those last two were me... how I spent the past couple of nights.  And tonight, I'll be blogging.  I'm putting down my paint roller and cooking utensils and picking up a glass of chardonnay and thinking about college days.

1st time at Alexa's parents' house.
Lauren & I in Ireland
Last night, two of my college friends and I had dinner together.  The three of us were very good friends in college and even though they both married brothers and live just one street over from each other, they have stayed in contact with me--who lives an hour and a half away--which I so appreciate!  And what's even nicer is that we can get together with our husbands occasionally, too, which is always fun.  When we have girls' dinners, we have real dinners.  Alexa was my roommate and Lauren was a good friend of both of us and the three of us lived together in a town house our senior year.  If it wasn't for Alexa keeping the Food Network on our dorm TV almost 24/7, I may never have developed such a love and passion for food and cooking!  I still remember when the three of us used to sleep over Alexa's parents' house in Connecticut and we would have fantastic food and her dad would get so excited to have Spanish wine and Colombian coffee to serve.  (I traveled abroad to Spain and as most know, am an avid coffee drinker--Lauren and Alexa weren't so much.) 
:)  Though Alexa was my roommate, Lauren and I had our own grand adventure in Europe.  After my semester in Spain, I traveled around Europe a little on my own and Lauren flew out to join me in Ireland and we toured the beautiful countryside and England and then flew home together.
Alexa & I at graduation
Lauren & I ("co-maids-of-honor") at Alexa's wedding
Alexa was married first, only a few short months after we graduated from college.  I got married the next year and Lauren, two years after that. 
Lauren, Alexa, & their better halves at Randy & my wedding
We now all have our own lives, husbands, homes, and teaching careers (though mine just ended) and still make an effort to get together to catch up as often as possible.  You know you're a teacher on summer break when your ladies' night is a Tuesday.
Alexa & I and other college grads at Lauren's wedding
Our dinners are delicious; complete with an appetizer, full main course, dessert, and wine.  Lovely food and friendships!  It's crazy to think (as Lauren pointed out) that we've officially been out of college for longer than we were in college.  Hopefully we can remain in contact for just as long in the future.

Now to the food.  Lauren made a delectable appetizer of spinach and artichoke tartlets.  Delicious little bites!  Alexa prepared a Ree Drummond recipe of twice baked potatoes, bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts stuffed with garlic and herbs, and broccoli.

I used the night to test out a new recipe I'm writing for lemon-blueberry cake with lavender frosting.  I'd like this cake to be served at my grandmother's 80th birthday this year, so I'm playing around with it now.  I don't have measurements for the frosting complete yet, so I'll hold off on sharing the recipe, but it'll be a great one!  Stay tuned.

To catch you up on the past couple of days, Sunday was Randy's family reunion.  I made my broccoli salad to bring.  Monday was the first day of Vacation Bible School at our church, so it's been a busy week.  Randy also had a meeting that night so I just made hearty salads in pita pockets for the kids and I (in keeping with my "Meatless Monday" theme from my menu calendar which you can find here). 

Here's to family, friends, food, and wine! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment