Sunday, August 17, 2014

Day 206: Spinoccoli Calzones (vegetarian)

For Wednesday (Day 206), Randy had asked me to make vegetarian calzones for a luncheon he was having at work.  Remember from my last post how I mentioned I had been up at 11:00 one night making a cake and the next night making calzones?  Bingo.  Here you go.  Randy wanted about 15 calzones to bring to work and the frozen dinner rolls I buy come in bags of 12, so I sent him with 16 vegetarian ones, and then made 8 of my easy sausage calzones for our dinner Wednesday night.  I had the sauce simmering in the Crock-Pot all evening on Tuesday night while I was in CT with the girls.  When I returned from our nice dinner (and after getting stuck in stopped traffic on the MA pike for 3 miles) it was time to make calzones!

You know how the sausage ones are made, and you just follow the link above.  The filling for the Spinoccoli Calzones (for 24) is as follows:

1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil
1 large or 2 small bunches of broccoli, chopped
1 cup of spinach, chopped
32 oz ricotta cheese
8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
1 egg
salt, pepper
sprinkle of basil (dry or fresh)
sprinkle of oregano
sprinkle of parsley
1 egg + water for egg wash

Start with the onion and garlic and drizzle of olive oil in a skillet and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent.  Add the vegetables to cook just a bit until the spinach starts to wither.  Turn off the heat.  If your skillet is large enough, you can make the filling in the skillet, otherwise you can transfer to a large bowl.  Combine the vegetables with the ricotta, mozzarella, and egg and mix well.  Add in the salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.  Fill the flattened dinner rolls as usual and use the egg wash on top.  Baking is the same, in a 400* oven for 10-15 minutes.
Sorry there's no picture!  I baked them Wednesday morning and let Randy take them out of the oven before work.  Neither one of us remembered to capture any step with the camera!  Next time, since they were so delicious I will have to make them again...

Thursday was Day 207 and we had dinner at our friends' house right around the corner!  For dessert, I made my double chocolate cookies.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment