Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hazelnut Biscotti (Days 260 & 261)

It pains me to be a week behind on my blog, especially since it's not because I have nothing to write about--I have plenty of recipes from the past week!  I just don't have the time to sit down and document them!  But here I am, mustering up the energy to sit down and just start...

Since I'm still documenting my dinners for a year, Monday night (Day 260) we had tomato soup.  I honestly don't think I've had tomato soup from a can since I was a kid.  But that's how we had it.  I've made tomato soup before, but I honestly didn't like it as much.  I'm a texture person--I don't like my sauces or soups (especially tomato) to be chunky, but rather, nice and smooth.  So Campbell's, it is!  Growing up, we put peanut butter and crackers in our tomato soup.  This time, I put cheese, crackers, basil, and sour cream in my family's soup.  It was delicious!  How do you like your tomato soup?  Give me some ideas!!!

Tuesday night the family went shoe-shopping and we ended up eating out.  But this was after I made delectable hazelnut biscotti.  Really, they're cookies, but calling them biscotti means you can have them for breakfast!  Plus, the name implies that every time you drink coffee, you better have a "cookie" with it.  They are sooo good!  The recipe comes from Giada DeLaurentis.

Hazelnut Biscotti
I had a bunch of hazelnuts leftover from our Open House, so I toasted them in the oven (dry, about 10 minutes, until fragrant) and used them in these delicious cookies!
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts

Preheat the oven to 375*.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.  In another bowl, cream together the butter, hazelnut spread, and sugars.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.  Sift in the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.  Fold in the chopped hazelnuts.  Drop about 1 TB of the dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets at a time.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes.  Serve with coffee anytime of day!


No comments:

Post a Comment