Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Days 274 & 275: Swedish Meatballs, Swedish Potatoes, Broccoli Au Gratin

Alas, I find myself one week behind on my postings. (Sigh!)  Will I ever get fully caught up again???  I have about 5 posts lined up with recipes ready to go.  Now I just need an assistant to come and type them up for me (and do my dishes).  I can dream, can't I?

So last Monday, the crown molding went up on our cabinets in the kitchen!  I know, I owe everyone pictures of how it's coming along.  We're almost at the end, so I'm just trying to hold out a little longer before posting "before" and "after" pictures.  These finishing touches are taking longer because they aren't vital to the function of the kitchen, so it's easier to push them back when we need a renovation break.  So for Monday, Day 274, we ordered pizza.  It would've been too hard to try to cook and maneuver around the equipment that was in the kitchen--the molding went up right around supper time.

On Tuesday, Day 275, we had ourselves a little feast.  I love throwing together a super big meal on the occasional fall weekday.  It reminds me that the holidays are right around the corner, which gets me excited like a little kid!  And somehow, serving 2 sides of vegetables plus crescent rolls makes a Tuesday night meal feel more like Thanksgiving!  I made Swedish meatballs, Swedish potatoes, broccoli au gratin, corn, and rolls. 

Swedish meatballs
I get asked how I make Swedish meatballs all the time.  Yes, I'm part Swedish.  My mother's family is all 100% Swedish, actually.  And yes, I love to cook!  But I must confess, my Swedish meatballs are not necessarily authentic--they're traditional, but only to my family.  What does it take to make an authentic Swedish meatball?  Well, if you look on the back of a McCormick all-spice container, it would say to just add all-spice to ground beef and then you'll have Swedish meatballs.  If you look at a Swedish recipe, however, it will say to soak bread in milk until it's crumbly and to add the moist "breadcrumbs" to the beef and the all-spice, maybe a few other seasonings, and then there will be a recipe for a white sauce to go with them.  Me?  I use my regular recipe for meatballs and add about 1/4 tsp (or 1/2, depending on how much meat I use) of all-spice to the mixture.  And here's where I cheat... big time.  I either make my own brown gravy with any beef stock I have in the fridge, or I get a little help from McCormick (again) and use their brown gravy sauce.  I'm sorry, but that's how my 100% Swedish grandmother has always done it!  So for me, yeah, that's tradition...
 I first brown my meatballs in a skillet, but don't be like me and overcrowd your pan... do as I say, not as I do.  ;) I was probably in a rush that night!

 Then I add my meatballs and gravy into a casserole dish and bake in a 350* oven for about 20 minutes.

Swedish Potatoes
A much more authentic recipe, even though I'm the first one in my Swedish family to make them!

4-6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
heavy cream (about 1-2 cups)
salt, lots of pepper
vegetable oil

In a large skillet, drizzle in some vegetable oil and turn the heat to medium-high.  Cook the onions until they are translucent, then add the potatoes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 10 minutes, then add the white wine and cook for another 5 minutes. 
Pour in the heavy cream using enough so that all the potatoes are coated with cream.  Reduce the heat and let the potatoes cook until tender.  Season liberally with black pepper.

Broccoli Au Gratin
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
2 TB butter
2 TB flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
French fried onions

In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour.  Cook 1 minute.  Add the milk and the broccoli and simmer until soft, about 8 minutes.  Add the shredded cheese.  Pour into a casserole dish and top with French fried onions.  Bake at 350* for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment