Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Strawberry-Thyme Lemonade

Wow, I have certainly enjoyed these past couple of warmer days we've had!  I am so ready for summer!  The other day, Abby asked me if I could make her some tea.  I told her I thought it was a little too hot for tea, but we could make some strawberry lemonade!  That seemed to satisfy her.  I first got this idea from a magazine (probably Real Simple).  I no longer have the recipe; I don't know what happened to it.  But, when I made it today it came out just as good as (if not better than) I remembered it from last year!
Here's how it goes:
Homemade Strawberry-Thyme Lemonade

1. Make a thyme-infused simple syrup: boil 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar and 10-12 sprigs of washed thyme.  When it comes to a boil, turn off the heat, stir, then let sit.
2. De-stem and/or halve 1 lb of strawberries and add to a pitcher.
3. Juice about 6 lemons to total around 3/4 cup of lemon juice. (Less or more is fine, depending on your taste.)
4. Combine the strawberries, lemon juice, and thyme simple syrup.  Add 5-6 cups of water.
5. Slice one lemon and add the slices to the lemonade.  Add in about 10 or so more sprigs of thyme.  Stir.  Refrigerate and serve cold.
*For a fun adult drink, add 1-2 cups of vodka. :)
After the lemonade has sat for a little while, the strawberries really infuse the liquid and it turns pink!  The flavors in this drink are amazing!!!  It may inspire me to create more fun summer drinks...

No comments:

Post a Comment