Thursday, June 26, 2014

Anniversary Dinner (feat. Homemade Strawberry Shortcake) Days 155, 156, 157, 158

Engagement: September, 2009--going to see U2!
Randy and I have been married 4 years today.  We have 2 kids, ages 2 (close to 3) and 1.  We're pretty busy.  We'll go out this weekend for a real celebration (our "rule" is he plans the even year anniversaries and I plan the odds, so it's his turn).  Tonight, I will still make a "special" dinner, though.  We saved a bottle of wine from Sonoma (read about that trip here) and I'll make one of his favorite desserts, strawberry shortcake.  (Recipe will follow.)
First, here's a recap of our week's meals so far:

Monday (Day 155): steak tips, rice pilaf, spicy roasted summer vegetables














Tuesday (Day 156): beer-marinated grilled chicken, green beans, French potato salad.  Also, check out my step-by-step guide to Eggs Benedict that I made Tuesday morning!






Wednesday (Day 157): Outdoor Taco Night!!!















Thursday, June 26, 2014 (Day 158)
Happy Anniversary Dinner
Randy and I brought back 2 bottles of wine from Sonoma Valley.  We opened the bottle of white on my last day of school, so I knew I had to plan a dinner tonight that would go with the red bottle.  Because this is Randy's year to plan a celebration and we're going out this weekend, I didn't want to "steal his thunder" by making an over-the-top meal, but I did want to do a little something special.  For dinner, I prepared pulled pork ragu over fettuccine.  I served this with a green salad and bruschetta (coincidentally the same link).  It went great with our red wine!  For dessert, I wanted to prepare something simple (Randy still had to go to his second job after dinner) that would incorporate fruit.  Since we just went strawberry picking, I decided to make homemade strawberry shortcake (which is easier than it sounds), one of Randy's favorite desserts.  My recipe includes an almond twist...

Homemade Strawberry Shortcake (makes 4 jumbo shortcakes)
Traditionally, this dessert is not incredibly sweet.  The shortcake is not bland, but it is subtle and not sweet or cake-like.  It should absorb the juice and flavor of the strawberries (the star of the dish).  The whipped cream adds a little sweetness and offsets the tartness of the strawberries.  Randy has a little sweet tooth, but not like his wife.  I'm a Swede.  This is not my favorite dessert.  I need the sweetness.  So I came up with a Swedish compromise.  I added almond extract to the shortcake and the whipped cream for a subtle hint of added flavor and sweetness.  It was adored by all!  (Except Noah, who boycotts all berries or anything that has touched a berry.  We're not 100% sure he's ours.)

4-5 cups halved strawberries
5 TB sugar (divided)
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp almond extract

Sprinkle 2 TB of the sugar over the strawberries and let them sit in the refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 400*.  Sift together the flour, 3 TB sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Combine the heavy cream and almond extract.  Stir into the dry ingredients until a dough forms.  Divide the dough into 4 large rounds.  Place each round on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  Baking for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top and baked through.  Once cooled slightly, slice rounds in half horizontally.  Pile 1/4 of the strawberries onto each bottom round and let the strawberry juice soak in.  Cover with the top round.  Scoop homemade almond whipped cream on top.  Garnish with shaved almonds or mint leaves if desired.

Present: June, 2014
Almond Whipped Cream
1 pint whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

With an electric hand mixer, whip the ingredients until soft peaks form.  You may store the any leftover cream in the refrigerator for 48 hours.  You may want to whip it again right before serving a second time.




This dessert is great because the shortcakes can bake during dinner and the whipped cream only takes minutes to make--you can make it right after dinner while your family or guests digest a little.  :)
Randy (sharing a jumbo shortcake with Abby):"I love the bottom part with the soaked up strawberry juice!"
Abby:"I love the cream!!!  The cream is so good."
Randy:"Abby, stop eating all the cream!"
Packing up from our most recent photo shoot with the family.


No comments:

Post a Comment